Guardianship for Minor

1700 North Farnsworth Avenue, Suite 28, Aurora, IL 60505

 Patankar Law P.C.

Aurora IL Guardianship for Minors Attorneys

West Chicago Guardianship for Minors Attorney

Kane County Lawyers Help Establish Guardians for Children Under Age 18

If a minor child under the age of 18 has a disability and receives a substantial amount of money, someone would need to be appointed to manage their affairs, thus, a guardianship may be necessary. When someone creates a will, they usually designate a guardian to look after their minor children in the event of a worst-case scenario. If there is no will, however, or no specific guidance regarding these matters, an interested party can petition the probate court to become the guardian of the child. Guardianships for minors are complicated legal proceedings, however, and it is important to work with a seasoned probate lawyer to ensure that the proceedings are smooth and successful.

At Patankar Law P.C., we have over 50 years of combined experience helping clients with guardianships for minors and adults. Our attorneys are compassionate, responsive, and focused on developing comprehensive and practical legal solutions for each client we serve. We understand that each situation is unique, and we take the time to listen and get to know our clients, so we can develop personalized legal strategies that fully address their needs and protect their interests.

Guardianship for Minors in Illinois

Guardianships for a minor may be necessary in the event a parent is unable to care for their child due to a disability, life circumstance, or other reasons person to the family. In order for an individual to have legal rights to make decisions on behalf of a child, such as school registration, health care decisions and other related decisions, an individual may have to petition the Court to obtain guardianship over a minor. A guardian must be of sound mind, a resident of the United States, have no serious criminal convictions, and be at least 18 years of age. This person should also be someone that has the ability to raise a child and properly manage their care and finances.

A guardianship provision is often included in a will, when individuals have minor children. If no guardian is designated for the minor in the will, one can be appointed by the probate court. The guardian can be in charge of the minor's personal care, estate, or both. If the guardian is in charge of both, they are typically referred to as a "plenary guardian". The guardian can be an individual that meets the aforementioned qualifications, a public agency, non-profit corporation, or a qualified for-profit corporation. Individuals, public agencies, and not-for-profit corporations can be plenary guardians, while qualified for-profit corporations are only allowed to be guardians of an estate.

Speak with a Compassionate DuPage County Guardianship for Minors Lawyer

Guardianship proceedings for a child under the age of 18 may be necessary if there is no one to manage the child's affairs, or if the current guardian is unfit and needs to be removed. Our lawyers can thoroughly evaluate your needs and the needs of the child, and work closely with you to develop a legal solution that is in the child's best interests. For a consultation with one of our team members, contact our office today at 630-820-8877. From our office in Aurora, Illinois we serve clients throughout Kane County including Elburn, Elgin, Batavia, Geneva, Warrenville, Naperville, Lisle, Montgomery and St. Charles.

DuPage County Bar Association Illinois State Bar Association Asian American Bar Association Kane County Bar Association
Back to Top